What to do if less Marks in class 12 CBSE

Board results are not always a true reflection of a student’s abilities. At times, they can be downright unpredictable.
So do not worry, you have several remedial options to choose from:
Apply for verification of your marks within 21 days of the declaration of your results. The forms can be collected from your school itself.

You can reappear for your class XII exams as a private candidate from your own school or directly from the CBSE. However, you will have to surrender your previous marks, so make sure your performance is really good this time.
The application forms for the Secondary and Senior School Certificate Exam for private candidates are typically available from mid-August up to early October. Check with your own school or from your state board for details.
The third option is to take the class XII exam through the National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS). NIOS provides you an opportunity to study and clear a subject in which you may have fared poorly either in high school or the +2 of the CBSE syllabus. Exams are conducted twice a year in May and November. You can appear in as many subjects as you like at a time. Incidentally, you are permitted as many as nine attempts.

The fourth option is to go for a Bachelor’s degree through distance learning from any reputed university in your region. If you do really well in the first year, you can even hope to migrate to a full-time course in the second year.

Also, even if you were to complete your graduation entirely through distance learning, your degree certificate will not mention anything to that effect. Moreover, a good percentage at the Bachelor’s level will compensate for relatively poor performance at the school level.
Of course the latter option may not be the ideal one for you if your heart is set on pursuing a professional course like engineering, medicine or architecture straight after class XII which cannot be done through correspondence or pursued at the postgraduate level unlike some other professional courses like MBA, MCA, mass communication, law, among others, which are open to students of all streams.

As for students who have got a ‘Compartment’ in any subject, they need not lose heart either. If it’s any solace, over 50% students under the CBSE Board failed in class X exams. And the number of those who have failed in two subjects runs into lakhs.
Earlier only those students who failed in onesubject were allowed to take the compartment exams. However, now even those who fail in two subjects are allowed to do so, on an experimental basis.
This means that you now get a chance to improve your grade by taking the exam in August. The results will be out in September.
If you have scored better than an ‘E’ grade (on a 9-point scale), you can happily join the rest of your classmates in class XI.

Examinees taking the CBSE secondary/senior school certificate exams because they failed in the previous attempt now have three chances, instead of two to clear the compartment exam.
What’s more, in a welcome move, the CBSE Board now provides a consolidated mark sheet to students. It will not show whether the marks have been acquired through the main or the compartment exam. Until now, the compartment was indicated on the initial mark sheet, while a separate mark sheet was issued for the compartment subject/s, which often proved to be a stigma creating problems of acceptability in many places.

Incidentally, over one lakh students of class X and thousands of class XII took the compartment exams last year.
So do make the most of this golden opportunity.
Remember, success is not measured by how high you climb, but how high you bounce when you hit the bottom.

Leave a Comment

fifteen + 5 =