The “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana” is an ongoing program started by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, to encourage students of Basic Sciences, Engineering and Medicine to take up research careers in these areas. The aim of the program is to identify and encourage talented students with aptitude for research.
This program strives to assist the students to realise their potential and to ensure that the best scientific talent is tapped for research and development in the country. Generous scholarships are provided (up to the pre-Ph.D. level) to the selected students.
1. Basic Sciences (SA, SX and SB)
After scrutiny of application forms and based on the performance in the Board Examination(s), all the eligible candidates from Streams SA, SX and SB have to appear for a written aptitude test (conducted both in Hindi and English). The test will be conducted at different centers across the country on 30th October 2011. The details of the venue of the aptitude tests will be put on the KVPY website in October 2011. Based on the performance in the aptitude test, candidates will be called for the interview which is the final stage of the selection procedure.
The question paper in SA Stream will be multiple choice objective type. In the objective type, 4 choices for the correct answer will be provided and the choice for the correct answer has to be made.
2. SP (Basic Sciences) and SP (Medicine)
KVPY applicant is required to submit the project report, chosen and executed by the candidate exclusively for this application. The projects done jointly with other candidates are not considered for KVPY Fellowship award. Applicant’s creativity and originality should be amply reflected in the project. This project has to be supervised by a teacher/professional in the relevant field. Based on the project submitted and scrutiny of the application form, short listed candidates will be called for an interview, which is the final stage of the selection procedure. The interview will be conducted at IISc, Bangalore during the month of December 2011 or January 2012.
1. Basic Sciences
- Stream SA: Students enrolled in the XI Standard (Science Subjects) during the academic year 2011-2012 and have secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board Examination.
- Stream SX: Students enrolled in Class 12 (+2) of the academic year 2011 – 2012 and aspiring to join undergraduate program in Basic Sciences (B.Sc/B.S./Int. M.Sc) for the session 2012 – 2013 provided they secured a minimum of 80% (70% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in MATHEMATICS and SCIENCE subjects in the X Standard Board Examination.
- Stream SB: Students enrolled in 1st year B. Sc./B.S./Int. M.Sc. during the academic year 2011–2012 and have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in SCIENCE subjects in the XII Standard Board Examination.
2. SP (Basic Sciences)
- Students enrolled in XI/XII standard, I/II year (B.Sc../B.S./Int. M.Sc.) in Basic Sciences and I/II year B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. during the academic year 2011–2012 and have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in the X & XII Standard Board Examinations. Additionally students enrolled in the II year B.Sc./B.S./Int. M.Sc/B.E./B.Tech./B.Arch. program must have secured a minimum of 60% (50% for SC/ST) marks in the I year examination. A hard copy of an original and creative Science based research project done by the applicant is required to be submitted along with the application.
- Stream SP (Medicine): Students joining First / Second Professional year of MBBS/B.V.Sc/BDS/B.Pharma program during the academic year 2011-2012. Students must have passed XII Standard Board Examination with 80% (70% for SC/ST) marks in aggregate in Science subjects or passed First Professional MBBS/B.V.Sc/BDS/B.Pharma exam with not less than 60% (50% for SC/ST) marks. A Copy of the Bio – Medical research project is required along with the application.
How to Apply:
Applications (Online and Hard copy) are available from 15th July 2011.
Request for Application Form
- Each Stream has its own application form. Students who wish to apply for more than one Streams should submit separate applications.
- Applicants may apply either by Hard copy or Online.
- Link to Online application forms will be made available from 15th July 2011. Those who are unable to apply online, may request for a Hard Copy.
- Hard copy of the application form can be obtained from KVPY on request by remitting a processing fee of Rs. 200/- (Rs. 100/- for SC/ST) at any core banking branches of STATE BANK OF INDIA, payable at all branches in India into the credit of “Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana(KVPY) A/c. No. 10270577392” and sending the “Pay-In-Slip” along with the request, clearly indicating the stream (i.e. SA, SB, SP) on the envelope.
- The SC/ST – candidates should provide a copy of the caste certificate issued by a competent authority in the prescribed proforma.
- The completed application form along with the
i) Caste certificate in the case of SC/ST candidate
ii) Medical certificate from the prescribed authority in case of physically and visually challenged candidates.
iii) Project report in the case of SP (Basic Sciences/Medicine).
iv) Copy of the marks statement of the qualifying examination(s), in the case of Stream SP.
v) The original copy of the challan of processing fee of Rs. 200/- (Rs. 100/- for SC/ST) should reach KVPY on or before 12.9.2011 (Monday).
- KVPY will not be responsible for postal delays in receiving completed application.
- Last date for receipt of the request for application form.
- By post : 02 September 2011
- In person at IISc : 09 September 2011
- Last date for closing of Online application : 09 September 2011
- Last date for receipt of the completed application (both Online/Hard Copy along with cast certificate, project report and processing fee) : 12 September 2011
PREVIOUS YEAR QUESTION PAPERS
Further Details: http://www.kvpy.org.in