Admissions to Dual BS-MS Program 2012
In order to promote high quality scientific research and training, Ministry of Human Resource Development(MHRD), Government of India has set up five Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research at Bhopal, Kolkata, Mohali, Pune and Thiruvananthapuram.
- Integrated undergraduate teaching with cutting edge research across disciplines.
- Evolving border-less curriculum incorporating recent scientific developments.
- Final year devoted to research project in chosen major subject.
- Continuous evaluation with limited emphasis on final examinations.
- Communication skills and social sciences are part of curriculum.
- Highly competent and motivated faculty in all disciplines of science.
- With passion for innovative teaching.
- Pursuing research in frontier and interdisciplinary sciences.
- 5 year BS-MS dual degree with major in biology, chemistry, mathematics and physics.
- Ph.D. program
- Integrated Ph.D. program after B.Sc. (presently at Kolkata and Pune, coming up soon in other IISERs).
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) : SX, SA, SB, SP
- IIT-JEE 2012; Rank list
- Central and State board (CSB) : With high aggregate scores in board exam (XII) and IISER science aptitude test.
- BS-MS students will receive either KVPY or INSPIRE scholarship of Rs. 5000/-p.m. (For more information, please visit www.dst.gov.in/scientific-programme/inspire/ser-inspire.htm)
- Upcoming eco-friendly and green campuses
- Housing amenities for students
- World class research laboratories
- Modern teaching and research facilities.
- Library with online resources, text books and research journals.
- High-performance computing.
- Sports and recreational facilities.
State of the art instrumentation
- High-field NMRs
- Mass spectrometers
- Laser spectrometers
- High resolution systems (confocal, AFM, etc)
- Auto synthesizers
- X-ray diffractometers
- Property measurement systems (SQUID, PPMS etc)
The process of admissions in all IISERs is managed by the Joint Admissions Committee (JAC), headed by a Chairman and having members from all the five IISERs. The details regarding admissions in all IISERs can be obtained by clicking at www.iiser-admissions.in.
The first batch of students of IISER Bhopal was admitted in June 2008. From 2010, another channel of admissions was introduced, namely the Direct Channel. The eligibility criteria for admissions from 2010 onwards can be summarized as follows:
Eligibility: Currently, candidates are admitted after 10+2, having qualified any one of the following criteria:
- IIT-JEE Main Merit list
- KVPY (Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana): Students qualified in SA / SX / SB /SP stream (http://www.iisc.ernet.in/kvpy).
- Direct admission: The State/Central Boards must be recognized by the MHRD. The cut-off percentage to be used for the boards for Class X and Class XII are given in http://www.inspire-dst.gov.in/Inspire-Advertisement.pdf. For OBC (non-creamy) a 5% relaxation of the DST cut-off is tenable. The cut-off for SC/ST is 60% in Class X and Class XII for all boards. All state/central board students must also qualify in theIISER Science Aptitude Test (ISAT). For details, please visit: www.iiser-admissions.in.
Reservation: While allotting seats at various IISERs, reservation rules regarding General, OBC, SC, ST and PD candidates are strictly followed as laid down by the Government of India. (http://www.education.nic.in/scholarship/guidelines-collegestdnts.pdf )
Scholarship: All the students taking admission in IISER Bhopal are offered a scholarship of Rs. 60,000 + Rs. 20,000/- as contingency grant per annum through the INSPIRE (Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research) fellowship, Govt. of India. Advertisements on a regular basis in newspapers of national repute keeping in mind a regional reach are made in order to attract the young, inquisitive and science-driven minds.
“Innovation of Science Pursuit for Inspire Research (INSPIRE)” is one such innovative program proposed by the Department of Science & Technology for attracting talent to science. The basic objective of INSPIRE is to communicate the excitements of creative pursuit of science to the youth population of the country. It is an endeavour to attract young talent to study science, and build the skilled human resource pool for strengthening and expanding the Science & Technology system and R&D base. Students admitted to 5 Years’ Integrated M.S. Programme will receive a monthly fellowship of Rs 5000/- called “INSPIRE fellowship” from Department of Science & Technology (DST), Govt. of India.
Chairman, Joint Admission Committee, First floor, Central Tower, Sai Trinity Building Garware Circle, Sutarwadi, Pashan, Pune, Maharashtra 411021
Tel: 020 – 25908222
Receiving online applications:
KVPY: 2nd April – 5th May, 2012
IIT-JEE: 7th June to 21st June, 2012
Central & State Board: 15th June to 9th July, 2012
Counseling / Aptitude Test
KVPY: 30th June, 2012
IIT-JEE: 30th June, 2012
Central & State Board: 14th July, 2012
Last date for receiving admission fees:
KVPY: 11th July, 2012
IIT-JEE: 11th July, 2012
Central & State Board: 23rd July, 2012